Thursday, December 22, 2011

Friendship is a Horizon

Friendship.
It's a force to be reckoned with.

What is your true meaning of friendship? Maybe, being able to talk to someone on the phone for hours?...or maybe knowing that someone will always have your back no matter what?...or maybe it's someone that you always have fun with?...or even someone that simply has a lot in common with you, and you never disagree on anything....?

Now before I say any more, I just want to clear the air: Before reading further, you need to understand the difference between acquaintances and friends. I'm talking about the true friends that you love. The ones that you expect your future children to call "aunt" and "uncle." Now then...

Friendship can come in many shapes/fashions/forms/variations/stages or whatever you want to call it. Think what you want, but to be quite frank, friendship revolves around one thing and one thing only: honesty.

Some of you might be a little surprised, but think about it. Would you ever expect one of your true friends to lie to you? Or would you expect them to be someone that they're not? Or talk the talk and not walk the walk? Would you ever expect your friend to give you bad advice just so you can feel better? Would you ever want your friend to steer you down the road less traveled just because it was easier?

No. You wouldn't. At least, I wouldn't. Not in a million years.

I want a friend that not only will always be there, but will always want to be there. I want someone that will tell you straight up how it is, no bull crap. I want them to have integrity. I want them to show that they care. I want them to call me out when I'm being stupid. I want them to tell me if something troubling is on their mind.

I want them to feel comfortable talking about anything and everything with me. I want them to have respect for themselves and others, as well as me. I want them have faith when others don't. I want someone to fight for me, not against me. I want them to know they're needed, and vice versa. I want them to love me at my best, and love me more at my worst.

I want them to believe in me. I want them to support me, even when they don't agree. I want them to trust me wholeheartedly, and know that the feeling is mutual. I want them to cry with me. I want them to see me vulnerable without judgement. I want them to accept me for me. I want them to be who they are, and no one else. I want them to appreciate what they have. I want them to see.

Find a friend you love. Hug them. Kiss them. Thank them. Talk to them. Appreciate them. Be honest with them. Love them. Show them. Always. Every day.

"Friendship is a horizon which expands whenever we approach it." - E.R. Harlip

What kind of friend have you been lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment